Private Budapest: Merry Markets & Mulled Wine
Merry Christmas! Dress warm and bring your holiday cheer on your very own Christmas-themed private tour of Budapest. Hungary is a Christian country, so Christmas is celebrated by almost all inhabitants. You’ll learn about local holiday traditions and why Santa Claus comes on the 6th of December — not Christmas Eve. You’ll start your special Budapest tour at Deák Square, a common meeting point for the city’s locals, before heading out to the local...
Merry Christmas! Dress warm and bring your holiday cheer on your very own Christmas-themed private tour of Budapest. Hungary is a Christian country, so Christmas is celebrated by almost all inhabitants. You’ll learn about local holiday traditions and why Santa Claus comes on the 6th of December — not Christmas Eve. You’ll start your special Budapest tour at Deák Square, a common meeting point for the city’s locals, before heading out to the local market in Obuda, where we’ll show you the most typical of Hungarian Christmas goods. Along the way, you’ll learn about the history of this inner-city area. Next, your private Budapest tour will pass to the other side of the river Obuda, where you’ll have the chance to see another non-touristy area, where the locals of the Buda side of the city come to sip mulled wine. From here we’ll jump on local transport to head back to the inner city, where we’ll visit St. Stephen’s Basilica, the most beautiful Catholic church in town. After that, you’ll continue to the next market for more Christmas customs. You’ll get to sample some typical Christmas cake and learn why Hungarian families traditionally eat fish at this time of year. As your Budapest tour strolls along the river, you’ll end up at a Christmas market that’s ranked one of the best in Europe. Celebrate the season under the biggest Christmas tree in Budapest. Finally, your private Budapest walking tour will end at one of the most charming Christmas markets in the city’s downtown, where you can stay as long as you like and keep exploring the culinary delights of an authentic Hungarian Christmas. (If you’d prefer to travel as part of a regular group experience, please book our Budapest Merry Markets & Mulled Wine group tour.) This tour is priced for a minimum group size of two travellers. A solo traveller may still book this private experience but will be charged the base rate for two travellers.
- Explore three of budapest’s traditional christmas markets, including one that’s ranked among the best in europe
- Sip hot mulled wine and sample traditional christmas cake
- Learn about traditional hungarian christmas celebrations and customs
- Discover cosy shops and cafés tucked along decorated streets
- Visit obuda, a local area off the beaten track, as well as st. stephen’s basilica, the most beautiful catholic church in town
- Local impact: how you will help the local community by joining this tour:
- The first part of your tour will take place in a neighbourhood that is far from the inner city, but is one of the oldest parts of the city, giving you a true taste of local life.
- At the christmas market in the old town area of óbuda, you will meet vendors that otherwise wouldn’t be able to profit from tourism.
- This tour promotes local culture and traditions. at the christmas markets you will see many vendors who produce their own goods on the spot, from chimney cake to special christmas decorations.
Deák Ferenc Square, in front of the large, light yellow-coloured protestant church. Your guide will have an Urban Adventures sign. Closest metro station is Deák Ferenc tér.
You can cancel for a full refund up to 72 hours before the start of your experience. If you do not show up for the experience or fail to cancel at least 72 hours in advance, you will not receive a refund.