Private Vilnius: Trakai the Local Way
After meeting up with your new local friend from Urban Adventures in Vilnius, we’ll travel the local way — by bus or train — to one of Lithuania’s top tourist destinations, the beautiful town of Trakai. Our journey will take about 40 minutes. Upon arrival at the bridge to Trakai castle, we’ll stroll towards it, admiring the historic views all around us. Then we’ll board the boat for 30 minutes and take a relaxing sail...
After meeting up with your new local friend from Urban Adventures in Vilnius, we’ll travel the local way — by bus or train — to one of Lithuania’s top tourist destinations, the beautiful town of Trakai. Our journey will take about 40 minutes. Upon arrival at the bridge to Trakai castle, we’ll stroll towards it, admiring the historic views all around us. Then we’ll board the boat for 30 minutes and take a relaxing sail around the castle. We will approach the snow-white Užutrakis Manor where your guide will be happy to take some holiday snaps for you. Next, we will head to a local café, run by a true Karaite. Under the expert supervision of our host, we will have a go at making a traditional Karait dish, kybyn. As we wait for it to bake, we’ll enjoy a pint of beer and some local snacks. After the lunch, we will leave you to explore the town at your own pace for about one hour. If the weather’s nice you may want to go for a paddle or you could do a spot of shopping (amber jewellery can be a bargain here). We’ll hop back on the bus or train in the late afternoon to take you back to Vilnius. Before you go, don’t forget to ask your local guide for more tips on what else to see, do and eat during your stay in Lithuania. This tour is priced for a minimum group size of three travellers. A solo traveller may still book this private experience but will be charged the base rate for three travellers.
- Explore the picturesque town of trakai with a local guide by your side
- Learn about the grand dukes of lithuania, hear legends about trakai castle(s) and lithuania’s affluent past
- Enjoy a boat ride around the island and the castle and admire pristine nature and medieval atmosphere
- Get a tasty introduction to the local cuisine with lunch at one of our favourite spots in town and a pastry workshop, too!
- Enjoy some time to yourself in the afternoon; you could go for a swim, visit the castle museum or shop for souvenirs — the choice is yours!
- Local impact: how you will help the local community by joining this tour:
- This tour helps preserve the local cultural heritage of the karaite community, not just because you explore sites of cultural significance, but because you visit an off-the-beaten-track restaurant run by a real karaite woman and active local community member. she built this restaurant over the years on the land of her grandmother, partially returned by the state after the declaration of lithuania's independence in 1991.
- By trying traditional dishes and drinks you are getting insight into local cuisine and culture and helping a small, sustainable family business to preserve authentic traditions.
Entrance to Vilnius Coach Station. Stoties str. 22 View on Google Maps
You can cancel for a full refund up to 72 hours before the start of your experience. If you do not show up for the experience or fail to cancel at least 72 hours in advance, you will not receive a refund.